The Multiplied Life of -KiRa-YaMaTo-

If you want to know more about me. visit My Multiplied Life, visit http://knightkira.multiply.com

11 January 2007

The Late 2006 Kira’s World Anime Yearender Report: If 2005 is Bad, 2006 is Worse

Sorry for the uber-long wait because of my other commitments. Here is the very much awaited Kira's World Yearender Report.

Much worse, what we expected.

If the year 2005 is what we dubbed as the bad year for Anime because of the diminishing timeslots on local TV and the like, well, 2006 is no difference.

No difference, you may say. For one, the local networks (I mean the terrestrials, ABS-CBN [Channel 2 Analog and Channel 51 Digital] and GMA Channel 7) were not too keen again to put another anime on their timeslots. The equation was simple. If we put anime in these timeslots, we’re dead and toast. Competition between these two networks became more intense as the months go by, Last November, ABS-CBN Announced that they have already lorded it all on the AGB Nielsen Nationwide TV Survey, which the rival debunked and said that it was all lies.

Oh, the sourgraping of the rival network, how sweet.

The launch of HeroZone on ABS-CBN (I think last 3rd quarter of 2006) made the anime from Bad (Bad as in what you expected it before this person resigned) to Worse. More worse was the resignation of ABS-CBN President Luis “Cito” Alejandro last March to “have a career jump” (but the real reason was the tragic ULTRA stampede which killed 72 of our poor people last 4 February) made the airing of quality anime and a hope of putting it into choice and competitive timeslots dim. Remember that this President was the one who went on the initiative of Launching HeroTV last 2005. He also was the President who aired, much to the big surprise of the Fans, Gundam SEED on ABS-CBN last 2004 (currently, the show reruns on Studio 23)

April was not as sweet as the roses in the bloom of summer because of the controversial axing of “Maria Sama Ga Miteiru” during 1 April, Yes although it was timed on April Fools. The surprise never fooled us. And fools are we when we knew that the MTRCB (damn bigots) had a hand in the axing of the show. Along with some of ABS-CBN’s pro-good Board of Directors like Emily Abrera and Rev. Fr. Tito Caluag, S.J.

May was the first time when we entered a HeroTV event, Summer Splash at Splash Island last 5 May 2006. Although the event meant waking up (not necessarily, I never slept that night. :P) and going to ABS-CBN at around 5 to 6 am for the shuttle to the Biñan, Laguna resort. The “never sleep” thing actually paid off. It was all but very good. Imagine that HeroTV pulled all the stops for this event that sure is quite as memorable. But as we write, we are still halfway through the year.

June and July signaled my return to school and 2 conventions unfolded on those months. The 2-day Toy Convention last 17 and 18 June 2006 at the SM Megamall Megatrade Halls 2 and 3 at Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City and the One-day Ozine Fest – National Cosplay Competition last 30 July at the LePavilion, Metropolitan Park, Pasay City. It was our first immersion to a true convention and with some surprises that we ourselves never expected. Those two events were successful and our participation was tremendous.

It was also in those months, particularly during the last week of June and the whole month of July when we uncovered the biggest slapup of all. A person met us and exposed all what he can expose us. By the moment I wrote it. It turned out to be one of my tests in my 2-year career as a forumite and a blogger. I can’t help but to semi-quit myself from the online world. And much later, right before the Ozine Fest, I returned, telling it to myself that I will now learn from this experience what a true controversy has and what a true controversy will fall out of notice once it is revealed to all.

Although August, September and October were the “dry” months for Events and Conventions for me, my campus life was starting to take charge. I became a member and, eventually, a core officer of the Lyceum Anime Guild, I met my, should we say, my boss because I’m his anbu, Carlo Castaneda or Twist. I also met Joseph (Mikan’s brother), Shorty, Brian, Ana, Jiea and Ban during our first GA last August. I definitely believed that I am not alone in this field. I remembered that I wanted to have an anime org here in the Lyceum to have an umbrella organization of all Otakus, Cosplaying or Non-Cosplaying, to be united in one voice and united in our field. I was very much thankful because, although we are not active, we wanted to feel that we are there for the Lycean otaku and, as we wanted to say. “Be not afraid”.

Also, I am so privileged to join in the school publication this year, The Lyceum Independent Sentinel. For me, it is not just a job for me, it is a privilege. A privilege that I worked and became a part of the team that I just only read in the past, I never expected and I definitely thank the Lord for giving me this sign that I am realizing my mistakes that I done during that tumultuous time by entering the school publication.

November was the prime month of all anime conventions because of the much-awaited Hataw Hanep Hero 2006 held last 18-19 November at the World Trade Center in Pasay City. The event was the mecca of all conventions, the crème-de la-crème of all events of the year. I went with Twist and there, I met his cosplaying colleagues from the WTF! Cosplay community. That made me become fulfilled because of the support that we gave them that meant a fruitful relationship between the forumers of Zen Otaku Honbu and the Cosplay Community. I am also very much grateful to HeroTV especially to Mr. Eric Go and Ms. Joy Go for bringing us this momentous event that doubled than those who attended the Pacquiao-Morales III grudge match held at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas, NV.

December, well, was my breakthrough month, with three momentous and very well-received events that shaped me through this month; I should say that December should not be only celebrated as the Christmas month, but rather, the Otaku Month.

First, my Pre-birthday salvo that I never blogged about yet to you because of the Birthday Message, UP-AME’s AME Matsuri 2006 held a day before my birthday, 09 December 2006 at the UP Bahay ng Alumni. It was my first time to go there and from the pictures that I saw of the last year’s event. Truly, this is much bigger than the past kAME Ulit last year. The cosplays were oh-so-better and I saw Twist along with his pals do the Kingdom Hearts 2 group cosplay. We also saw Moonlight Bomber show his cosplay goodness and Windracer’s Girl from Hell cosplay a spoofed-up version of Star Wars. We also saw more spoofs and action. But the convention, well, it’s far I know not like less ordinary, with the biggest boohoos that Mike Abundo (silly old Mike Abundo) went there and Animax covered the event with only a DV camera with them.

Second, you know what that event was, I already told it to you in the Birthday Message. And thirdly, the most-awaited yearend decider Otaku’s Verdict 2006, which over 70 nominees vied for 24 awards and one most screwed.

And speaking of the Otaku’s Verdict, here we are with the Kiranalysis of the Polls.

Anime TLC TV Network of the Year - QTV 11 64.84%
Philippine Anime Hall of Being Screwed - Maria-sama ga Miteru (for unfinished run, ABS-CBN2) 41.12%

It’s clearly obvious that ABS-CBN was not doing its job this year and their job only made matters worse and I really mean worse. Like the axing of MariMite and their pain-in-the-neck programming this 2006 in order to beat their fierce rival

I leave this piece of advice to ABS-CBN in 2007

If you want to win the Major awards of OV2007, BE SENSITIVE!

Or otherwise, it will strike you again.

Male Anime Dubber of the Year - Louie Paraboles 41.17%
Female Anime Dubber of the Year - Grace Cornel 56.17%
Dubbing Director of the Year - Michael Punzalan 50.00%

The idea of adding these new nominations in this year’s verdict is because of the fact that the Pinoy dubber is not being recognized for his Hardwork and dedication in his field. We congratulate Mr. Paraboles, Ms. Cornel and Sir Mike for being the first persons to be awarded with our equivalents of Best Actor, Actress and Director.

And speaking of Dubbers, Danny Mandia was one of the dubbing directors your coordinator interviewed in 2006. Among the most notable interviews of 2006 were Mandia, Michael Punzalan, Eric Go, Noel Escondo and Charvie Abletes , Among those who have met by your coordinator were Bernie Malejana and Roni Abario, Among those who have saw by your coordinator but failed to “ambush” interview were Alexx Agcaoili and Sherwin Revinster, I hope I can file an Interview with some of our respected people in the dubbing industry in 2007

Philippine Anime 2006 Rating - Good 34.67%

It may be good to some, but to me, it is still a Disaster, worse than Milenyo and Reming combined. With ABS-CBN's ignorance and GSD's long wait. I can say that ABS-CBN (as Analog 2 and Digital 51) became the mirror of what happened in the industry.

Ignorance should be ABS-CBN’s trademark. They never assumed anything responsible in the first place. Apart from the controversial axing of MariMite in April of 2006, they were ignorant in the requests made by anime fans and otakus over their Forums.

Their forums went down in the 2nd quarter of 2006. Attacked by the hackers which eventually known to be GMA network hoodlums, which work in the network’s GMA New Media Inc. They changed the forums last November, which created the ire of the otakus over on the new layout and forum which was not user friendly.

Gundam SEED Destiny should be ABS-CBN’s way of saying thank you this 2006. But what happened? ABS-CBN simply turned the whole GSD thing down and instead, released the 4th season of the ever popular and top-rating Naruto. When will ABS-CBN air GSD?

On overall, what ABS-CBN is doing, the others are doing, Even GMA's Sister Network QTV 11 are following mighty and giant ABS-CBN's moves.

Even if ABS-CBN (as the company/network) had HeroTV, still it gained no chance to survive in 2006. Although the new titles complemented the channel and it gained more acceptance unlike last year. The shadow of their parent network overcastted their success in their foray. As ABS-CBN were too keen on making an Anime Channel through Hero. They have forgotten their own terrestrial channel and started making ungodly programs on the priority timeslots like “Calla Lily” and “Pangako sa Iyo”

Will 2007 be a landmark for them? I don't think so until I see Gabby Lopez again says these magical words.

"I am responsible"

I am hoping that this year will be more reformed and more anime friendly than 2006. Also, I want to see what the true meaning of reform really is to the networks and their anime-related channels. I am also expecting of more bigger events and more exciting conventions which Kira’s World will attend to and first of which is the Zen Otaku Honbu Forums EB which will be held in the 28th of this month at the SM Mall of Asia.

As for Kira’s World, now that we are approaching our 2nd year come April 2007. We are assuring our loyal readers and site visitors that you will come across a more vigilant, more fearless and a more visually-enticing Kira’s World. We are also exploring new horizons through Yahoo! 360 and Multiply, And Also our Friendster blog is more personal with at least 4 posts per month about what my life is all about, both as a normal person and as a coordinator otaku. Because we want to leave an imprint to the online world that we are, really, the REAL, UNDISPUTED and FEARLESS Coordinator Anime Portal

Again, from your –KiRa’S-WoRlD- family of sites (KW Blogger, Kira’s Personal Space, KW 360 [Feb 2007] and KW Multiply [Mar/Apr 2007])

A Belated MERRY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! Shinnen Akimashite Omedetou!

-HeAdIn’-OuT!-

No comments: